Photographers, camera enthusiasts and image specialists are creative by nature, always looking at the big picture. That’s why we’ve used this phrase in naming our blog—because we also see more when it comes to the world of photography. This monthly blog will share the latest on the products, techniques and opportunities that take your passion and your pictures to the next level. Thanks for joining us, and don’t forget to smile!
Summer vacation season is just around the corner. Preserve your memories of special events, favorite destinations, and time with loved ones through exceptional outdoor photography. Here are five tips from the experts at Art’s Cameras Plus that can help you take better pictures:
- Go for the Gold—a common term in outdoor photography is shooting during the “golden hour,” which is that magical time just before dusk and dawn when the natural light yields exceptional results.
- Good-Bye, Bullseye—Great outdoor photography applies the “rule of thirds” versus centering. Imagine your image covered by a three-by-three grid, with the horizon and essential elements found within or along the lines of that grid.
- Practice Proactive Point of View—finding a new perspective makes your photos more creative and memorable. Try a chest harness, an extension arm, going down to the ground, or positioning yourself above your subject for a fresh angle on the familiar. Beyond perspective, try capturing more action with techniques like panning a moving subject, adjusting shutter speeds, or deliberately moving your camera.
- Get a Circular Polarizing Filter—want to deepen the sky’s color or see into lakes and streams? A polarizing filter is a perfect accessory for improving your outdoor shots. When used properly, this filter helps you avoid the common problem of underexposure in dark areas and overexposure of light or bright subjects in the same photo.
- Go Ultra-Wide—an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens helps you capture the dramatic beauty of landscapes or the energy of a crowd in a single shot. It also lets you adjust the amount of background you want to appear in your photo.
Learn and Try Before You Buy
Since you’re eager to get out there with your camera this season, we’re eager to help. Sign up for
classes tailored to your skill level and interests, or gain hands-on experience at one of our photography events.
If you’re new to outdoor photography, or want to try new equipment without making a major investment, we can help here, too! Art’s Greenfield store has a full rental department, so you can try out a variety of cameras, lenses, camcorders, lighting gear, and accessories.
Another way to save is to shop tested and warrantied pre-owned equipment at both our Waukesha and Greenfield stores. Stop in for the help you need with the equipment you want as you develop and become a better photographer in every season.
The technology in today’s cameras make the auto-flash feature pretty reliable—your equipment can quickly assess and adjust to lighting needs for better images. For really great images, however, you’ll need to understand and control lighting. When you do this, photography goes from ordinary to extraordinary. Here are five tips from the pros at Art’s Cameras [...]
As one of only a few camera stores in the entire Midwest to not only survive the online shopping revolution, but to continue to thrive, Art’s Cameras Plus is all about gratitude. We know how fortunate we are to have made the right changes at the right time, and are grateful to every customer whose [...]
Photography is popular for many reasons, with one of the most important being that anyone can capture a great image. Maybe you have all the right equipment, maybe you’ve positioned everyone and everything just right, or maybe you just have incredible luck or timing. At Art’s Cameras Plus, we love that photography is rewarding for [...]
You can learn almost anything online, but the difference is that little word: almost. When it comes to photography, there is no substitute, site, app, or video that can replace the hands-on experience of learning from an actual photographer who is passionate about what he or she does. That’s what you’ll find at Art’s Camera [...]
Photography is a growing interest—not only are more people discovering the art of taking pictures, but once they start, their enthusiasm tends to grow as well. And so does their personal inventory of equipment. Developing your skills with new cameras, lenses, and accessories is fun, but it can also become expensive. At Art’s Cameras Plus, [...]
While students of all ages are heading back to school, those students wanting to take better pictures are heading to Art’s Cameras Plus for some of the best photography classes in Milwaukee. Our education department, Art’s Photo Academy, offers more than 20 different classes each month to help people get familiar with the best equipment [...]
Today, it’s unusual to buy anything without at least looking online first, whether for prices or reviews. We get that. But when purchasing something as technical as today’s digital cameras online, being left on your own to figure it out when the box arrives can leave you overwhelmed and frustrated. At Art’s Cameras Plus, we [...]
Last month, Art’s Cameras Plus celebrated its 50th anniversary—and while that gave us a lot of reasons to look back, we’re always looking forward. Our business is changing, and we’re excited to be on the leading edge of technology, with the latest digital equipment and services. But high tech is only part of it—photography [...]
Photography is a rapidly developing field, but it is still a special art form and the best way to capture a feeling, a moment, and a memory. Art’s Cameras Plus has also been through some great changes in its 50-year history, and we’re proud to say we’ve helped thousands of people take the pictures [...]